New and Renewing Notary Packages
Renewing Notary Packages do not come with a notary journal
Our New and Renewal Notary Packages DO NOT include your required $10,000 Montana Notary Bond. The State of Montana requires purchasing your notary bond, which you will need to send along with your notary application.
Step 1: Order your $10,000 surety bond from Notary Rotary, Inc.
All applicants for the office of notary public for the State of Montana must obtain a surety bond in the amount of $10,000 as part of the application process. A surety bond is a form of insurance that protects the public from mistakes you may make in the performance of your official duties as a notary. If you perform an illegal notarization, you may be held personally liable for damages caused by your act.
Please visit the Notary Rotary online store to purchase your Montana notary bond. To order, enter the required information, scroll down through the page to locate and select the desired products, and follow the instructions through checkout. Your supplies will be shipped as soon as possible, usually within 2-3 days.
Please visit The Notary's Store you will be entering the Montana section for your official notary supplies. We offer a New Notary Supply Package and a Renewing Notary Supply Package, Montana Notary Seal/Stamp and officially recommended Montana Notary Journal, and other needed notary supplies at a special reduced price, but you will need to order your required $10,000 Montana Notary Bond separately. To order, enter the required information and scroll down through the page to locate the notary packages, or purchase your notary seal/stamp and recommended notary journal separately and any other products you would like to order. Follow the instructions through checkout. Once you have your official bond you may proceed with step 2.
Note: An Errors and Omissions Insurance Policy does not replace a bond, but will help to repay the bonding company if a claim is ever made. An Errors and Omissions policy is not required by law, but may be purchased as it protects the notary public and pays for any charges the notary might owe for legal fees and costs should the notary be sued.
Once you receive your official surety bond, make a copy of the actual bond for your records.
Step 2: Download and complete the Montana Notary Public Application
Montana Notary Public Application
Montana Application for Reappointment
This is also an appropriate time to download the Montana Notary Public Handbook
As you complete your application, keep the following in mind:
When you have completed the application you will need to send it along with your surety bond and a $25.00 filing fee to the Montana Secretary of State. You may pay the $25.00 fee for a commission or renewal of a commission using a personal check, cashier's check or money order made payable to the "Secretary of State". If your payment is returned for any reason, your commission will be suspended. Once you have prepared these items they should be mailed to the following address:
- You must type, print and sign your name exactly the same way on your application, surety bond and oath of office. This is the name in which your commission will be issued, and this is the name you will use when performing all notarial acts.
- The place of residence you list on your application must correspond with the place of residence on your surety bond.
- Do not list the same address for your residence and your employer unless you work out of your home. If you're not presently employed, please enter N/A (not applicable) in the space provided for employer information.
- If you do not complete your application completely and truthfully, your commission may be denied or revoked.
- Your Application and Oath of Office must be properly notarized. You will need to make arrangements to have a notary public take your acknowledgment under oath or affirmation that the information provided in the application is true. Your signature in the Oath portion of the Application will need to be notarized. The Find a Notary feature from Notary Rotary, Inc., can be helpful in locating a notary in your area to help process your application.
Montana Secretary of State
PO Box 202801
Helena MT 59620-2801
Step 3: Order your Official Seal and the remainder of your supplies from The Notary's Store
Note: An Errors and Omissions Insurance Policy is not required by law, but may be purchased as it protects the notary public and pays for any charges the notary might owe for legal fees and costs should the notary be sued.