Become a California Notary Public with the Notary Learning Center
The process for becoming a California notary public is involved and often takes 2 to 3 months, especially for a new applicant. California requires the following:
NOTE: California notaries public must purchase a $15,000 notary bond, a seal/stamp from an approved vendor, a notary journal and thumb printer pad at a minimum.
- State of California required training by a State-approved education provider
- Satisfactorily complete and pass the State notary exam
- Fingerprints electronically scanned (This service is available at all of our live classes)
- Passport-type photograph attached to your notary application (This service is available at all of our live classes)
The Notary Learning Center has been approved by the State of California as an approved education provider. We also offer notary seals/stamps and notary surety bond and insurance. In short, we can handle all of your needs throughout the process of becoming a commissioned notary or renewing your current commission.
The following is an overview of the steps that must be taken in order to obtain a California notary commission. By choosing the Notary Learning Center as your vendor, you will save a considerable amount of money over other organizations. Not only that, but we're about as fast as it gets when it comes to order fulfillment and delivery.
STEP 1: Notary Education
Purchase a live notary class from the Notary Learning Center. The Notary Learning Center is a State-Approved Vendor State Vendor Numbers 600043 (6 hour class) and 302311 (3 hour class)
- For your convenience, we offer at all of our CA Exam Classes both the state required Live Scan Fingerprinting and state required Passport-type Photo services.
- Notary Supply Packages are available online and during our live classes at SPECIAL CLASS ATTENDEE PRICING!
STEP 2: Notary Application and State Exam
We offer the State Approved Exam after each of our Live Classes
Bring the following to class and have available for the state proctor exam:
- Current California approved photo ID
- The original application with your original signature
- The original Proof of Completion from your mandatory education class
- 2" x 2" color passport-type photograph of yourself
- Check or money order in the amount of $40.00 made payable to the "Secretary of State"
STEP 3: Wait for Exam Results and Follow Instructions
If you did not take advantage of our Live Scan Fingerprint services at our live class. Please do the following:
Once you have passed the State exam you will need to have your fingerprints taken at a Live Scan facility as part of a thorough background check by the DOJ and the FBI. Please follow the instructions that are included with your exam results very carefully. Note that receiving your test results may take 2 to 3 weeks. Approximate time: 10 to 15 business days.
IMPORTANT: If you ORDERED your supplies (including your bond and stamp) you will NOT receive them at this time. After the State of California sends you your official commission certificate and your "Certificate of Authorization" and you forward the "Original Certificate of Authorization" to us then we can complete your order and forward your notary supplies to you.
STEP 4: Wait for Commission Packet and Follow Instructions
If you meet all qualifications and the Secretary of State is satisfied with your application and background, they will grant you a commission. It will arrive by U.S. Mail; usually 2 - 3 months after your fingerprints have been taken.
- Your commission packet will include an Official Commission Certificate, Oath Filing Forms, a Certificate of Authorization and instructions.
- It is important that you follow the instructions in your packet carefully. Step 5 covers the purchase of your supplies and filing of your notary bond.
- You have a limited amount of time to purchase and file your notary bond.
- If you do not purchase and file your bond in time, you will forfeit your commission and must follow the requalification procedures.
New and Renewing Notary Packages
Renewing Notary Packages do not come with a notary journal
STEP 5: Purchase Notary Supplies and File Notary Bond with your County Clerks Office
The day you receive your commission packet, return to The Notary's Store to purchase your notary supplies. If you have already purchases a notary supply package and have a voucher please call us at 800-909-9003 for completing your order.
Send us your original Certificate of Authorization to Manufacturer your Seal so that we may release any seal/stamp you have purchased alone with any other supplies you ordered.
After you receive your order from us, immediately take the notary bond and information packet you received from the Secretary of State to your County Recorder for filing and take your oath of office. Be sure to follow the instructions included in the packet you received from the Secretary of State!
IMPORTANT: Some notaries purchase their bond and Errors and Omissions Insurance in one order, and all other supplies in another order. Doing so ensures that the bond and liability insurance policy shipping will not be delayed by the notary seal requirements. This is a very good idea if you were slow to order your notary supplies.